I really love the fact that we are a group of relaxed people who laugh and joke with one another. Its something I treasure and I do not really want it to change.
However (you knew there was one) this can cause problems. Yesterday at one point, I tried to get She Who Will Remain Nameless to come out to help someone at the desk. She thought that I was kidding and it took several frantic gestures before she finally came out to see. She thought I was just joking around. At another point yesterday, we had an incident with a patron trying to assault another. When someone ran to the back to tell me, my first thought was that they were kidding around and I didn't react as quickly as I might have otherwise.
This has led me to make some ground rules.
First, please do not joke, kid, or act humorously around the idea that 911 needs to be called. If you say this, it *needs* to be for real.
Second, several of us were talking last night about the need for a codeword. This is something you can say that means 'What I am telling you is true. Please treat it seriously'. I ask that no one use this codeword for anything *but* the truth.
The code word we came up with is 'Geronimo'. If someone asks you to do something, or tells you something and they say Geronimo, that means they are serious. (Not upset or anything, just that they are not kidding around).
If we can follow these two rules, we should be able to continue as we have been while still taking care of business.
Please post her your questions or concerns.
Thanks,
Brandon
No comments:
Post a Comment